Hi! I am James Lim, and I write about infrastructure and engineering management.
Always happy to chat with fellow engineers and leaders, share problems and solutions,
or discuss feedback on my writing. You can reach me at
j[at]jimjh.com, and my
@jimjh on most sites. I am currently at Samsara, and was an early employee
at Affirm and Quixey.
I am available for startup consulting and advising. Let’s learn together.
Some of my most popular articles are:
- Tuning Blameless Postmortems
- Monolith vs Microservices
- Managing Dependencies in Python Applications
- Adventures with Content Delivery Optimizations
- Building Elastic Clusters
There was a time when I was into doing obscure things on iOS and Android. For some reason, 2 of my posts were very popular, and I decided to port them over to my static site generator from Tumblr.
If you are currently a student at Carnegie Mellon, you are probably looking for Passwordless Kerberized SSH for CMU’s UNIX machines.
I have been unable to open-source most of my professional work in recent years. Nonetheless, here are a few repositories where I have had some coding fun in between managing teams.
- event-proxy - an event-based proxy written in C for self-study purposes
- arc_cache - an adaptive replacement cache written in python3 for self-study purposes
- dragon-oss - an implementation of the HDFS API using the Aliyun OSS client
- merkle-trees-impl - a practice implementation of merkle trees in Scala, inspired by the Dynamo paper
- raft-self-study - an implementation of raft in scala for self-study purposes
Some of my top-voted answers on StackOverflow are:
- Share Large, Read-Only Numpy Array Between Multiprocessing Processes
- ssl.SSLError: tlsv1 alert protocol version
© 2019 - 2020 James Lim. All Rights Reserved.